PEC News / Events
PEC kicked off 2016 with a groundbreaking ceremony for its latest affordable housing project, 20 apartments located at 4050 Haverford Avenue in West Philadelphia. The project is designed for artists in need of artists in need of affordable live/work space. PEC has been building affordable housing in the Lower Lancaster Avenue area of Philadelphia's Promise Zone for more than twenty years.
4050 Apartments is a product of PEC's commitment to the arts in our West Philadelphia. It is a residential project tartgeting low-income artists. Anyone may apply for an apartment, but there is a preference for working artists who are at any point in their career.
This three-story building contains 20 one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments. Residents will have aceess to a community room on the ground floor that will also be a site for arts and educational programming open to the public. The units themselves will include amenities that are conducive for art-making: flexible open layouts, natural light, and high ceilings. In addition to rental units, the project will have a community room that prominently faces the street with space to accomodate workshops and exhibitions.
Applicants to the 4050 Apartments must qualify under the income guidelines set forth by the Pennsylvania Housing Fiance Agency. Applicants wishing to qualify for the artist preference will be required to submit the documentation outlined below and to be interviewed by a panel of PEC staff and local artists.
- demonstrate that the applicant has been a working artist for at least one year in any variety of artistic disciplines,
- have a clearly written statement (200 words or less) of the artist's long- and short-term artistic goals and how the artist plans to achieve them, and
- include three professional references.
In addition, applicants should:
- be aware that they may be asked to exhibit their artistic practice in the 4050 Apartments community room, and
- come to their interview with a body of work containing a minimum of 10 artistic pieces created in the last year.
Interested applicants should visit pechousing.com or contact Trina Wallace at and 267-777-5832.